Environmental & Safety Policy
The nature of Kawabata's operations has a positive impact on the environment through the conservation of metals, plastic and other non-renewable resources and the proper management of used and end-of-life electronic equipment. Consistent with these core operations, it is Kawabata's overall goal to accomplish its business objectives while striving for an injury-fee workplace, minimizing pollution, providing quality products to our customers and ensuring customer satisfaction. It is our intention to:
- Develop and maintain quality, environmental health, & safety and security programs that conform to the best practices within the scrap and electronics recycling industry;
- Comply with all relevant quality, environmental, health & safety laws and regulations, including federal, state and local and other stakeholder requirements;
- Comply with all relevant regulations of the countries importing equipment, components, or materials containing FMs that have passed through our facility or control;
- Comply with customer and product requirements and industry guidelines, including the Responsible Recycling (R2) practices;
- Manage used and end-of-life electronics equipment, components and materials based on a hierarchy of first, reuse-refurbish; second, materials recovery; and finally, energyrecovery/disposal;
- Manage the R2 focus materials that pass through our facility or control in a manner protective of worker health and safety, public health and the environment;
- Prevent workplace injuries and illness by providing a safe environment for employees, contractors, visitors, volunteer workers, temporary workers and anyone else performing activities under our direction;
- Investigate any workplace accidents, illness and near-misses, and promptly correct any unsafe condition or practice;
- Promote prevention of pollution in all of our operations, including the elimination of electronics waste from landfills;
- Work with our entire recycling chain including downstream vendors, suppliers, customers and contractors to fulfill our quality, environmental, health & safety goals; and
- Continually improve our quality, environmental, and health & safety programs and resulting performance.
We recognize that the responsibilities for quality, environment, health & safety and security are shared, requiring cooperation, not only between employees and their supervisors, but among and between all those who assume the various roles within the company.